Skip to main content

Not so Idiotic After All ...

That's how I would rate 3 Idiots.

I am loath to apply different yardsticks to judge Bollywood and Hollywood movies.

So, when I saw 3 Idiots, I immediately sought to measure it against the best of Hollywood that I had experienced.

And I thought I could immediately name 10 Hollywood movies that are 10 times better and that I have seen multiple times and would continue to watch in the future ...

I thought like every Bollywood movie, this movie was too long as well ... the jokes seems forced ... and not so funny.

Let me mention a few random Hollywood movies that are my favorites ...

  1. Crimson Tide
  2. Clear and Present Danger
  3. Armageddon
  4. Forrest Gump
  5. A Few Good Men
  6. The Pursuit of Happyness
  7. Enemy of the State
  8. Terminator 2/Men in Black/Mission Impossible I/II/III
  9. As Good As It Gets
  10. Something's Gotta Give

Well, that's my random list ... as the list shows, I am no connoisseur of Hollywood movies, but ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Longforms and 'Best of 2017' Lists and Favorite Books by Ashutosh Joglekar and Scott Aaronson

Ashutosh Joglekar's books list. http://wavefunction.fieldofscience.com/2018/03/30-favorite-books.html Scott Aaronson' list https://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=3679 https://www.wired.com/story/most-read-wired-magazine-stories-2017/ https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/12/the-best-books-we-read-in-2017/548912/ https://longreads.com/2017/12/21/longreads-best-of-2017-essays/ https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/21/world/asia/how-the-rohingya-escaped.html https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-journalists-covered-rise-mussolini-hitler-180961407/ https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/artificial-intelligence-future-scenarios-180968403/ https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1997/01/20/citizen-kay https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/where-we-are-hunt-cancer-vaccine-180968391/ https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/dna-based-attack-against-cancer-may-work-180968407/ https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/12/22/dona...

Edward Snowden

This seems to me to be the defining journalism-whistle-blower story of this generation. It's rare in today's world when privileged people voluntarily choose to take steps whereby they give up comfortable lives to do something that is in the 'public good.' Mr. Snowden was clearly a computer whiz which explains why he got jobs at the CIA (including postings in Geneva under diplomatic cover). Booz Allen obviously did not hire him or pay him the $1,20,000 salary without Mr. Snowden showcasing some considerable technical expertise. I believe Mr. Snowden's expertise probably lies in having deep expertise in various flavors of Linux. That is what I am inclined to infer from his various job roles as a 'Systems Engineer' or 'System Administrator.' Being the self-driven sort of person that he was, I am sure he must be having good knowledge about networking and encryption stuff including but not limited to Cisco routers and related technologies. ...