Skip to main content

My MMRCA

Being an honest, patriotic, God-fearing (or, may be not so God-fearing), heterosexual Indian, I think it's my onerous duty to choose the best medium multi-role combat aircraft for the 75-year-old plus Indian Air Force.

Although, since India became independent only in 1947, it beats me how the IAF can be older than 75 but that's a different story.

As to the present contract for 126 of the MMRCAs, the contenders in the fray are these:

  • F-16
  • F/A-18
  • MIG-35
  • Gripen
  • Rafale
  • Typhoon
So, which one would I choose out of these six?

To me, the choice is obvious — MIG-35.

Of course, I don't have the advantage of user trials and other evaluation techniquies that the IAF has. But the MIG-35 seems to be the most modern of the lot while the F-16 and the F/A-18 have been around forever.

Cost-wise too, the Russian MIG-35 should be on the cheaper side if not the cheapest.

I am holding my breath for Mr. Antony to take a final decision then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Longforms and 'Best of 2017' Lists and Favorite Books by Ashutosh Joglekar and Scott Aaronson

Ashutosh Joglekar's books list. http://wavefunction.fieldofscience.com/2018/03/30-favorite-books.html Scott Aaronson' list https://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=3679 https://www.wired.com/story/most-read-wired-magazine-stories-2017/ https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/12/the-best-books-we-read-in-2017/548912/ https://longreads.com/2017/12/21/longreads-best-of-2017-essays/ https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/21/world/asia/how-the-rohingya-escaped.html https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-journalists-covered-rise-mussolini-hitler-180961407/ https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/artificial-intelligence-future-scenarios-180968403/ https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1997/01/20/citizen-kay https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/where-we-are-hunt-cancer-vaccine-180968391/ https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/dna-based-attack-against-cancer-may-work-180968407/ https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/12/22/dona...

Edward Snowden

This seems to me to be the defining journalism-whistle-blower story of this generation. It's rare in today's world when privileged people voluntarily choose to take steps whereby they give up comfortable lives to do something that is in the 'public good.' Mr. Snowden was clearly a computer whiz which explains why he got jobs at the CIA (including postings in Geneva under diplomatic cover). Booz Allen obviously did not hire him or pay him the $1,20,000 salary without Mr. Snowden showcasing some considerable technical expertise. I believe Mr. Snowden's expertise probably lies in having deep expertise in various flavors of Linux. That is what I am inclined to infer from his various job roles as a 'Systems Engineer' or 'System Administrator.' Being the self-driven sort of person that he was, I am sure he must be having good knowledge about networking and encryption stuff including but not limited to Cisco routers and related technologies. ...